Since 2003, MMM Group has been retained by Imperial Oil Ltd. to conduct annual large-scale bathymetric surveys on the Mackenzie River at Norman Wells, Northwest Territories.
MMM Group conducts this survey to confirm that adequate ground cover exists above the eight buried pipeline bundles under the Mackenzie River, connecting the artificial islands to the mainland.
MMM Group utilizes the project statistics to determine if unusual scour exists in the vicinity of the six artificial islands and mainland docking area. Side scan sonar imagery is collected and coordinated and is used to recognize scour, slumping, and identifying potential hazards to navigation beneath the water surface.
- All sounding and side scan sonar data is interfaced with real time GPS.
- A 28-foot survey vessel, equipped with sounding, navigation, and positioning equipment is employed to complete the project.
- Sixteen contour and topographic plans are prepared at a contour interval of 0.25 metres for all areas of interest.
- bathymetric survey and real-time positioning
- data collection and interpretation
- side scan sonar survey imaging and interpretation
- preparation of bottom contour plans and cross sections