Award-winning P3 hospital project ahead of schedule and under budget
One of the most significant P3 projects undertaken in Canada to-date, the hospital’s design won several awards, including achievements from the Ontario Association and Architects, the Building Better Healthcare Awards, and the Illuminating Engineering Society.
The two-phase, $500M hospital expansion project resulted in the creation of 270,000 ft2 of new construction space, and 70,000 ft2 of renovated space, and will increase the hospital’s capacity from 382 to 471 beds, and the number of labour and delivery rooms from seven to 15. Construction was completed three months ahead of schedule, in 2011, and came in under budget.
- Provided mechanical, electrical, civil, and municipal engineering design services
- Provided commissioning and LEED services
- Provided lighting design services:
- Worked with natural light to illuminate the lobby area, to create a feeling of a tree-lined courtyard with an interplay of light and shadow
- Designed a custom lighting system that harmonizes the fire protection system and primary lighting sources within individually controlled, 14 ft-tall lighting standards, with supporting perimeter, in-ground, and recessed cove luminaires
- Adding to the complexity of the project was the restriction that no luminaires be used on the ceiling or on wooden structures
- mechanical engineering
- electrical engineering
- lighting design
- civil engineering
- municipal engineering