This award-winning, $650M airport project will provide significant economic benefits to the area
MMM Group Limited was prime consultant for the recently opened New Quito International Airport which has been renamed Mariscal Sucre International Airport. Located on a 1,400-hectare plateau sitting 350 m above surrounding rivers within the Andes Mountains, the project was undertaken in one of the most seismically active areas in the world.
MMM undertook all of the engineering design, with the exception of the architectural and geotechnical design, for the Phase 1 development, that included a 38,000-m² four-level passenger terminal, landside and airside infrastructure, an air traffic control tower, airport and airline support facilities, a stormwater management facility, and water treatment and sanitary treatment plants.
- Completed on time and on budget, as a result of careful planning, due diligence, best practice strategies, and dedication to detail
- Implemented the highest global standards for design and construction
- As the principal gateway into the Galapagos Islands, ecology and sustainability were critical issues during design and construction.
- Minimized the airport’s environmental impact through best-practice design and construction techniques
- Approximately 8,000,000 m³ of earthworks were required to mitigate the poor condition of existing volcanic soil, including developing an innovative solution of ‘water resistant concrete’ engineered fill used beneath the runway pavement for stabilization.
- Extensive engineering measures were taken to ensure safe and secure development in the challenging terrain, including designing structures to resist high seismic loads using a combination of steel-braced and reinforced concrete moment frames.
- Worked quickly and cooperatively with an archaeology team to carefully extract precious artifacts dating back to 300 BCE
- master planning
- project management
- design management
- mechanical engineering
- electrical engineering
- structural engineering
- transportation engineering
- municipal engineering
- landscape architecture
- stormwater management
- sanitary treatment plant design
- water treatment plant design
- IT / security
- special systems
- airport design