Canada’s most energy-efficient building
- MMM Group provided sustainable design facilitation and energy-efficiency consulting for the University of Ottawa’s 5,200sq. m. Biology Building, the most energy-efficient building in Canada, achieving a 73% reduction in energy consumption when compared to standard design practice
- Energy savings were independently verified by Natural Resources Canada as the highest value seen in over 220 CBIP and C2000 projects (as of February 2004).
- Design features include a terminal cooling system which sends dry, dehumidified air from a central plant throughout the building, allowing air to be heated or cooled within individual rooms as required.
- Other notable features include:
- high-performance glazing
- insulated curtainwall mullions
- low-flow fume hoods
- waste-heat recovery from growth chambers
- ventilation and lighting controlled by occupancy sensors
- energy-efficient T-8 lighting
- sustainable design facilitation
- energy efficiency consulting